- Synthesize lysozyme-AuNP.
- Create stock solutions of chelators.
- Add the various chelators to lysozyme-AuNP solutions.
- Change pH of lysozyme-AuNP solutions.
- Record results.
Creating the Gold Stock Solution
- Add 0.0524 g of HAuCl4·3H2O to a 50 mL volumetric flask and fill with distilled water.
- The final concentration of gold stock was 2.66 mM.
Creating the Lysozyme Stock Solution
- Add 0.0717 g of lysozyme to a 50 mL volumetric flask and fill with distilled water.
- The final concentration of lysozyme stock was 100.28 μM.
Creating Au:Protein Ratios of 40:1 and 50:1
- For the 40:1 ratio, add 470 μL of gold solution, 312 μL of lysozyme solution, and 4218 μL of deionized water to a test tube.
- For the 50:1 ratio, add 470 μL of gold solution, 249 μL of lysozyme solution, and 4281 μL of deionized water to a test tube.
- We made 10 tubes of each ratio.
- The samples were heated at 80°C for 4 hours.
Creating Stock Solutions of Chelators
Adding Chelators to Lysozyme-AuNP Solutions
- Add 0.5 mL of each chelator stock solution to each 1.5 mL aliquot.
- Record effects of each chelator on each solution.
- 2,2 bipyridine was used instead of 2,2 bipyridyl
Adding Buffers to Lysozyme-AuNP Solutions
- Dilute the 1 M solutions to 100 mM, 10 mM, and 1 mM.
- Add 1 mL of each to the lysozyme-AuNP solutions.
- Let sit overnight and record results.