Diveena Vijayendran (an artistic interpretation)
- Currently pursuing PhD in genetics at ISU
- Senior, BS Biotechnology (Honors) Research
- South Australian Matriculation in Biological Sciences
Current Project & Research interests
- Currently a graduate student at Iowa State University, pursuing a PhD in genetics under the supervision of Dr. Bryony Bonning. I work with aphids, a pest insect of agricultural crops worldwide. The focus of my research is to identify and characterize novel aphid viruses. In addition, I also look at small non-coding RNA (short-interfering RNA and microRNA) and their expression in various species of aphids (August 2009 - present)
- Worked briefly at Pioneer Hi-Bred in research related to drought tolerance (December 2008 - August 2009)
- Worked as a research assistant under the supervision of Dr. Tilahun Abebe at The University of Northern Iowa (May 2007 - December 2008). In UNI, I worked towards identifying small RNAs in the reproductive structures of drought stressed barley.
- As part of my class project in Recombinant DNA Techniques, me and my group members worked towards engineering light sensitive E.coli to produce vanillin.
Link to project page: []