- Finish film synthesis
- Start exchange of sodium montmorillonite for an organic cation
Exchange of sodium montmorillonite for an organic cation 1-hexadecyl)triphenylphosphonium bromide
- Add 1.1014g of Sodium Montmorillonite (NaMT) to a scintillation vial containing 20mL of 50:50 HPLC grade water:ethanol.
- Determine the amount of cation to add if using either tributylhexadecylphosphonium bromide or (1-hexadecyl)triphenylphosphonium bromide to exchange 100% of the Na from the clay.
- Add this amount of phosphonium ion to the clay solution.
- Cap the vial
- Stir for 1 week.
- Vacuum filter using 0.2uM nylon filter paper
- Dry in oven at 90C overnight
- Grind with a mortar and pestle.
- Store in a dessicator
Preparation of XRD film
- Powder XRD will be taken of the plane NaMT
- XRD of a plane PVA film will also be taken
- XRD of a film soaked in 2ppm, 8ppm, 80ppm, and 200ppm will also be taken
- 200ppm, this film was prepared by Michael Bible's Notebook
- 80ppm, A PVA-film was soaked in 10mL of 80ppm and left to soak until XRD analysis
- 8ppm, This film was prepared by Madeline Bee's Notebook
- 2ppm, this film was prepared by James Schwabacher's Notebook
- This data will allow us to discover which layer of the film the dye is being absorbed first, as well as any changes in the clay structure.