- Finish analyzing PVA-malachite green data
- Start analysis on X-ray
- Start making new PVA and PVA clay films
- Set up experiments (like the malachite green experiments) to see how well the films absorb arsenic and mercury
- Notes: both of these are toxic metals, and we need to understand how to use/work with them.
- You MUST read the following before starting in lab today
- Information sheet on As
- Information sheet on Hg
- Finishing the analysis of the PVA-Malachite green data, our data is being compiled into a spread sheet with other groups
- Learning how to extract and interpret the data from the XRD. Data to come
- New PVA and PVA clay films were started
- The procedure for the film synthesis may be viewed here.
- the initial teflon dish containing the PVA film was contaminated with malachite green. The film turned blue and we had to redo the synthesis.
- Set up for arsenic and mercury absorbance experiment
- Vials were labeled and weighed out with no lid
- Films were cut using a falcon tube and spatula
- Note: The PVA only film seems to soften the longer it soaks in water.
- Vials were weighed again with films present.
- Dilutions of 50ppm, 100ppm and 150ppm of Arsenic and Mercury were created.
Mercury stock solution
- 0.0908g HgCl2
- (0.0908g HgCl2)*(1mol HgCl2/271.5g HgCl2)*(1mol HgCl2/1mol Hg)*(200.59g Hg/1mol Hg) = 0.0671g Hg
- put in 250mL volumetric
- 268ppm Hg
New Film Synthesis
- PVA Film
- PVA-Clay Film
- 1.0117g PVA + 0.1105g Clay
Arsenite Solutions for Vials
- made from 0.0499 mol/L (3738.588ppm As) stock. Made by Eleni and James
- 4 mL of stock in 100 mL volumetric flask -> 150 ppm As
- 2.67 mL of stock in 100 mL volumetric flask -> 100 ppm As
- 1.337 mL of stock in 100 mL volumteric flask -> 50 ppm As
Mercury solutions for vials
- Made from 268 ppm Hg stock. These were prepared by James and Madeleine
- 27.985 mL of stock in 50 mL volumetric flask -> 150 ppm
- 18.657 mL of stock in 50 mL volumetric flask -> 100 ppm
- 9.328 mL of stock in 50 mL volumteric flask -> 50 ppm
As and Hg Absorption Experiment Set Up
| PVA Only||As ||50||13.11987||13.24774||0.12787
| PVA-Clay||As ||50||13.08592||13.27636||0.19044
This area is for any observations or conclusions that you would like to note.
Use categories like tags. Change the "Course" category to the one corresponding to your course. The "Miscellaneous" tag can be used for particular experiments, as instructed by your professor. Please be sure to change or delete this tag as required so that the categories remain well organized.