I am currently working as a postdoctoral researcher with Prof. Julius Lucks (Lucks Lab) at Cornell University in the School of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering. I previously obtained a BSc degree in Biochemistry at Imperial College London, where I continued as a PhD student in Molecular Biosciences under the supervision of Prof. Paul Freemont working at the Imperial College Center for Synthetic Biology and Innovation. My research interests are broadly focused in Synthetic Biology.
1. S. Meyer, J. Chappell, S. Sankar, R Chew, J. B. Lucks* (2015). Improving fold activation of small transcription activating RNAs (STARs) with rational RNA engineering strategies. Biotechnology and Bioengineering. 36, 154-160.
2. J. Chappell, K. E. Watters, M. K. Takahashi, J. B. Lucks* (2015). A Renaissance in RNA Synthetic Biology: New Mechanisms, Applications and Tools for the Future. Current Opinion in Chemical Biology. 28, 47-56.
3. M. K. Takahashi, C. A. Hayes, J. Chappell, Z. Z. Sun, R. M. Murray, V. Noireaux, J. B. Lucks* (2015). Characterizing and Prototyping Genetic Networks with Cell-Free Transcription-Translation Reactions. Methods. Doi: 10.1016/j.ymeth.2015.05.020.
4. J. Chappell, M. K. Takahashi, J. B. Lucks* (2015). Creating Small Transcription Activating RNAs. Nature Chemical Biology, 11, 214-220.
5. M. K. Takahashi, J. Chappell, C. A. Hayes, Z. Z. Sun, J. Kim, V. Singhal, K. J. Spring, S. Al-Khabouri, C. P. Fall, V. Noireaux, R. M. Murray, J. B. Lucks* (2014). Rapidly characterizing the fast dynamics of RNA genetic circuitry with in vitro transcription-translation (TX-TL) reactions. ACS Synthetic Biology, 15, 503-515.
6. J. Chappell, M. K. Takahashi, S. Meyer, D. Loughrey, K. E. Watters, J. B. Lucks* (2013). The Centrality of RNA for Engineering Gene Expression. Biotechnology Journal, 8, 1379-1395.
7. J. Chappell, K. Jensen, P.S. Freemont* (2013). Validation of an entirely in vitro approach for rapid prototyping of DNA regulatory elements for synthetic biology. Nucleic Acids Research, 41, 3471-3481.
8. J. Chappell, P. S. Freemont* (2013). In Vivo and In Vitro Characterization of σ 70 Constitutive Promoters by Real-Time PCR and Fluorescent Measurements. Methods in Molecular Biology – Synthetic Biology, 61-74.
9. J. Chappell, P. S. Freemont* (2013). Synthetic biology – A new generation of biofilm biosensors
10. S. Gulati, V. Rouilly, X. Niu, J. Chappell, R. I. Kitney, J. B. Edel, P. S. Freemont and A. J. deMello (2009). Opportunities for microfluidic technologies in synthetic biology. Journal of The Royal Society Interface, 6, 493-506