Notes on software of interest:
Prlić A, Procter JB (2012) Ten Simple Rules for the Open Development of Scientific Software. PLoS Comput Biol 8(12): e1002802.
Evidence-based scheduling: http://www.joelonsoftware.com/items/2007/10/26.html
Maintenance & Availability
Obituaries for bioinformatics tools. http://blog.openhelix.eu/?p=12206
Schultheiss, Sebastian J., et al. "Persistence and availability of web services in computational biology." PLoS one 6.9 (2011): e24914.
Open Source resources
Search engine: http://www.vadlo.com/
SAGE notebook: http://nb.sagemath.org/
CLC Free workbench: http://www.selectscience.net/products/clc-free-workbench-software/?prodID=20301&u=C1DCA37C-1E5D-4BBF-9283-CAB91EF71E0B&techBID=112&utm_source=social&utm_medium=researchgate&utm_campaign=product
Productivity tools & Project management
A plasmid Editor: http://openwetware.org/wiki/ApE_-_A_Plasmid_Editor_%28software_review%29
What it does well:
- Plan/perform in silico cloning by restriction digestions and ligations.
- Plasmid map easily gets cluttered.
- When performing a sequence search, hits are marked, but not selected.
- Not possible to select sequence in multiple alignment result view.
- Annotated view only possible in combination with single-stranded view.
- No option for batch processing (perform the same cloning strategy several times, with different molecules) (?)
How to perform multiple alignment in Clone Manager:
SeqAnswers - Software packages for next gen sequence analysis: http://seqanswers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43
Ultrafast and memory-efficient alignment of short DNA sequences to the human genome: http://genomebiology.com/2009/10/3/R25
Bowtie vs. BWA: http://seqanswers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15200
Short Oligonucleotide Alignment Package (SOAP):
Description from SeqAnswers: "A program for efficient gapped and ungapped alignment of short oligonucleotides onto reference sequences. The updated version uses a BWT. Can call SNPs and INDELs. Author is Ruiqiang Li at the Beijing Genomics Institute."
The initial version, SOAP v1, is a program for gapped and ungapped alignment of short reads to a reference sequence. SOAP has been expanded to a package with several new programs, including:
- SOAPdenovo, "a short read de novo assembly tool, is a package for assembling short oligonucleotide into contigs and scaffolds."
Burrows-Wheeler Aligner (BWA):
" a software package for mapping low-divergent sequences against a large reference genome"/ http://bio-bwa.sourceforge.net/)
- BWA-backtrack (Reads up to 100 nt)
- BWA-SW (For longer reads: 70 nt - 1Mb)
- BWA-MEM (For longer reads: 70 nt - 1 Mb. Faster and more accurate than BWA-SW)
BWA is an aligner only, and does not call SNPs or other variations.
Article: Fast and accurate short read alignment with Burrows-Wheeler transform: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19451168
Aligning sequence reads, clone sequences and assembly contigs with BWA-MEM: http://arxiv.org/abs/1303.3997
Assembly By Short Sequences (ABySS):
"A de novo, parallel, paired-end sequence assembler."
Genome/sequence data analysis
Sequence Assembly Manager (SAM): http://www.bcgsc.ca/platform/bioinfo/software/sam
Description: "SAM is a Whole Genome Assembly (WGA) Management and Visualization Tool. It provides a generic platform for manipulating, analyzing and viewing WGA data, regardless of input type."
Integrative Genomics Viwer: http://www.broadinstitute.org/software/igv/home
Open Genomics Engine: http://www.opengenomicsengine.org/learn/
Rapid Identification of Non-human Sequences (RINS): http://khavarilab.stanford.edu/resources.html
Management and planning
DAMBE5: A Comprehensive Software Package for Data Analysis in Molecular Biology and Evolution: http://mbe.oxfordjournals.org/content/30/7/1720.full
FASTA software package: http://fasta.bioch.virginia.edu/fasta_www2/fasta_list2.shtml
What it does well:
- Hookup to BLAST search.
- Mark ORFs.
- View all reading frames simultaeneously.
- Somewhat cumbersome interface.
- Confusing file-handling (how to load/save files).
Wishlist: A program able to perform batch in silico cloning. Example scenario:
- Define several sequences. Use the program to define oligomers for SOE PCR construction of these sequences.
- Define restriction site linkers to append to every sequence, and which are automatically appended to the primers.
From Cytoscape 3.0, plugins are known as apps. 2.x plugins do not work with Cytoscape 3.x The NetworkAnalyzer plugin for CytoScape 2.x is included as part of the Cytoscape 3.x core.
CytoScape App store: http://apps.cytoscape.org/
ContigScape An interactive guidance tool for microbial genome gap closure
Source Code for Biology and Medicine: http://www.scfbm.org/