- European leukemia research network; bioinformatics work group member (2009-2011): EuGESMA COST Action BM0801: Translating Genomic and Epigenetic Studies of MDS and AML. European network for leukemia research for collaboration and half-annual workshop meetings.
- Consortium coordinator (2008-2011): Computational data fusion of multiple biological information sources and background data (MULTIBIO). Three-year research consortium for data integration in functional genomics, funded by the Finnish Funding Agency for Technology and Innovation (TEKES) (total budget 989ke), involving three research groups from University of Helsinki and Aalto University.
- Board member: public relations (2007-2009); vice president (2009-2010) Bioinformatiikan seura (Finnish Society for Bioinformatics)
- Memberships in scientific societies: Public Library of Science (PLoS); International Society for Computational Biology (ISCB); Society for Bioinformatics in Northern Europe (SocBIN); IEEE, IEEE Society on Social Implications of Technology
- NGO support: Electronic Frontier Finland; Amnesty International (founding member and president 2001-2004 for student group at Helsinki University of Technology); Friends of the Earth; Service Civil International (SCI); The Association for Investigative Journalism in Finland
- Refereed papers for BMC Bioinformatics; Neural Processing Letters; Wiley interdisciplinary reviews: Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery; Journal of Machine Learning Research (JMLR/MLOSS track); Machine learning in integrative genomics (MLIG'09); ISCB student council Symposium (ISMB09); Int. Workshop on Self-Organizing Maps (WSOM09); Int. Conf. on Pattern Recognition (ICPR08); Eur. Conf. on Artif. Intelligence (ECAI08); Asia Pac. Bioinf. Conf. (APBC'08); Int. Conf. Natural Computation (ICNC'07); Machine Learning for Signal Processing Workshop (MLSP'07); Int. Symp. Neural Networks (ISNN'06); Comp. Syst. Biol. (WCSB'06).