- Interpret and connect the results of our various plant experiments in light of the literature.
- Gain proficiency in oral presentation of data.
- Document interim Tribolium counts.
Lab 6 Overview
I. Team oral presentations of graphs and literature articles on Plant labs 3-5
II. Monitor the Tribolium experiment and document interim counts.
Generation 2 Tribolium counts
An interim sample of populations of Tribolium confusum will be made today. The procedure for counting the number of adult beetles (and the number of pupae if you choose to do so) will be described by your lab instructor.
Observation of beetles:
- Are the beetles alive? How are they distributed in the jars? Is there a difference corresponding to treatment type?
- Is there a lot of flour left? Can you see a superficial layer composed of discarded molts?
- As you count the adults and sift through the flour, do you notice many pupae? Many larve? Which larval instar is predominant?
It is imperative that all beetle stages be returned to the jars.
Other Labs in this Section
Lab 3: Transpiration in High Light/High Wind and Low Light/Low Wind Habitats
Lab 5: Measurement of Chlorophyll Concentrations and Rates of Photosynthesis in Response to Increasing Light Intensity
Lab 4: Plant Anatomy